Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed

Franchise »

The Assassin's Creed franchise follows the never-ending, secret war between the Assassin Brotherhood and the Templar Order, in various historical settings, told from the perspective of the modern day.

Which Assassin's Creed game should I try?

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Hi

I've played Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 but didn't get into them much. I am not much of a stealth player and I have a tendancy to accidentally jump off the towers and die all the time.

I know most people think AC2 and Brotherhood are the best games but for someone who did not enjoy AC1 and 2 which game would you suggest if I gave this series anothet shot? Or maybe I should just forget about it?

GhostHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

If you didn't like 2 I would forget about it. That or Brotherhood were the peak of the series hands down. You might enjoy Black Flag though because its basically just a pirate game with AC controls.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

My personal fave was Brotherhood but if you're dying to give it another try I'd say try whatever you can get for the best price, with Black Flag probably being your best bet.

But as @ghosthouse said, if you didn't like 2, it may not be for you.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Give Black Flag a shot!

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By MezZa

Black Flag would be your next best bet. You've already tried the best game in the series, 2, though. The games become more action oriented as they go, so maybe you'll enjoy that more.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Since 2, they are all the same game. Except Black Flag which is a boat sim. I'd say you should go by the setting that resonates best with you. I'm considering picking up Syndicate as my first AC in quite some time because of the setting.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The epitome of the perfected formula is Revelations as it has the most evolved old-school gameplay.

The biggest departure from the classic formula that works well is Syndicate.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've only liked 1 & 4. I do still want to try Freedom Cry if it goes on sale again.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pirates are pretty cool and AC4 is basically the best pirate game ever made soooooo...

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

2, Brotherhood, and Black Flag are basically the only ones worth caring about.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Thiago123

Like others have said - if you did not like AC1 or 2 but are still willing to give the series a shot, the only one really worth trying is AC4: Black Flag. The strong emphasis on the unique sailing/naval mechanics made the peripheral game very unique. But remember that it is still an AC game, so main story missions will not necessarily be too different. The other main games:

• AC Brotherhood - widely considered to be the best in the series. It refined all of the excellent design changes brought on by AC2, added some fun mechanics (managing the brotherhood), and let you have at it in one, giant sandbox (Rome). It was also the first game in the series to feature a much loved and unique competitive multiplayer mode.
    • AC Revelations - essentially more of Brotherhood in a new locale. I think the location, annualization, and the lack of innovation lead to tepid response to this game, but I thought it was just fine. The multiplayer was also refined perfectly here.
    • AC 3 - widely considered to be the worst game in the series due to very poor pacing and an uncharismatic lead character. I didn't have a problem with the character myself, and I enjoyed the story focusing on American history. The game introduced some great mechanics like the village management, wilderness settings, and the beloved naval combat. However, no amount of apologizing can make up for the pacing- I think I hit hour 9 or so before I felt like the typical series assassin.
    • AC Unity - though generally despised because of a rocky launch plagued with issues and an overabundance of meaningless collectibles, side quests, and mobile tie-ins, I was lucky enough to play through it on XBONE relatively bug free. I enjoyed the game more than others from the gameplay/mechanics standpoint, and really enjoyed the revolutionary era France setting, but the story ending was horrendous and the excessive map markers were too much. This game introduced co-op which actually is quite fun.

I can't comment on Syndicate yet since I'm only an hour or two in, but I like it so far. I don't see how it departs much from the older formulas though. Try black flag and then make your mind up.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AC2, and Brotherhood are incredible. I don't think they've aged too well though. You could try with AC:B, but if that doesn't work try out AC4! It was fantastic, best pirate game ever.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Flag sounds the most fun. Rouge is basically just more of that right? I like how the AC games have a lot of historical figures that you interact with. However from what I've heard the Desmond story turned out bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

AC2 is pretty much still the pinnacle of that series so if you didn't care for that, the series might not be for you. Black Flag is probably the next best, though that game really only shines through the side content.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

AC4 is probably the best game to hop in on at this point if AC2 or ACB didn't do it for you. I will say that part of the problem is that AC has been getting eclipsed by a lot of other games in various ways (open world design, combat mechanics, etc.) and the metastory has kind of fallen apart over time.

What games have you really enjoyed lately?

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I just found the American Saga pack (PC) with AC3, 4 and Liberations HD for €10 and ordered it. Like I don't have enough games to play already...but that is how it is when you buy something on impulse. A lot of games for the money.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That's a good deal. I really think 4 is a lot of fun. I did have fun with 3 overall but it is incredibly flawed and there are some missions and sections which are just frustrating and annoying.

LisaTiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

AC2 is pretty much the best in the series, it just seemed to go downhill after it. I did enjoy Brotherhood though and the map kept me busy for long enough. I gave up on the series after the one with Connor, 3? I don't even know any more but it just seemed to lack so potential. I keep being told to try Black Flag but if it's too focused on ships then it might be Arkham Knight all over again.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maluvin: You ask what games I have enjoyed lately. That is a tough question. I think Mass Effect 3 despite its flaws was the last game I truly enjoyed. And FFX HD but that is a remaster so not a new game. Many of the games I loved 5 years ago like Halo and Dragon Age now seems just OK. Now I am replaying FF7 and Fallout New Vegas.

I understand that for the hardcore fans the newer games might seem too casual but for me it is a positive that they made it more mainstream. I've never been into stealth in games anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.