Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout

Franchise »

The Fallout franchise is a post-apocalyptic series of role-playing and tactics games originally developed by Black Isle, and most recently, Bethesda Softworks and Obsidian Entertainment.

Do Fallout 1 and 2 hold up?

• 60 results
    Avatar image for brianofthewoods
    brianofthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do Fallout 1 and 2 hold up? (403 votes)

Yes 62%
    No 23%
    Yes but only one of them (specify in replies) 9%

I don't mind dated graphics. I just find the world very interesting. I'm just wondering how they've aged. Please leave your thougts in the thread!

• 
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@meissnerd:I don't know if they're really all that necessary for modern fans. Fallout 3 and onwards are tangentially related to the originals at best. It's like they played Fallout 1 and 2, then made a long list of "things" it had and methodically checked them all off without replicating any of the intrinsic qualities that made those games as unique as they were.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@lawgamer said:

It's still in awesome game, but you can't go into it expecting first person move-to-waypoint-shooty-shooty-fun-time-everything-explodes style gameplay you get in the Bethesda "Fallouts" (and I use that term pretty loosely). The original Fallout is very, very (very) rule based and it expects players to know those rules going in**. It won't provide you with an extensive tutorial or pop-up hints about what you did wrong when you die and it expects you to pay attention.

Clicked through all that NPC text and missed where you were supposed to go? Too bad, there's no quest journal. Maybe you should have learned to read. Accidentally shot an NPC and made an entire town hate you? Well, that's your fault for starting shit around non-combatants.

I remember the early game being balls to the wall hard even when you did know most of the rules. You started with no armor and a pea-shooter pistol in a cave full of radscorpions and like one or two stimpacks. Extra stimpacks weren't just lying around like candy as they are in Fallout 4. You usually had to buy them in town. And stimpacks cost money. A lot of money. If you wanted RadAway you had to be prepared to break the bank.

** For you kiddies out there, there used to be these magical, mythical things called manuals that came with games. It prevented the need for developers to include poorly paced, pedantic tutorials at the beginning of every single game. Fallout came with a glorious, thick, fully notebook-bound manual with illustrations and everything. It even included food recipes in the back. I miss manuals.

Yes! YEEEESSS! Oh man.... That brings back memories..... I miss those games...

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

[mild spoilers] a talking Deathclaw in your party who ~dramatically~ throws off his cape every battle start, a

Ohhhhhh you just made me remember that damn animation too, every single damn damn waiting for it to finish, hnnnnnnnnggg.

Fallout 1 had a really great sense of mystery to it, it really felt like you were just tossed out of the vault into this world that you don't know anything about and sort of stumble your way through, it feels like no path you take is the wrong path because anything could go terribly wrong (or perfectly right) at any moment.
    Some of that mystery is tied to the lore though which if you are familiar with the new Fallout game it may take away from that, the first time I saw a Deathclaw or Super Mutant I was like "OH HOLY SHIT NO DON'T KILL ME NO!" But now it might be more like 'oh that thing I recognize'
    And the game never felt like it over stayed its welcome, feels just long/big enough.

Fallout 2 was, and maybe for some this is a good thing, to each their own, but it always felt like too much to be, it's way bigger and has so many characters and things you can do it becomes overwhelming. I always felt like I had an idea of what to do next or where to go in Fallout 1, in 2 I felt like I was sort of stumbling around and just crossing my fingers I had the right direction down. It's still enjoyable too me, but the first is miles ahead of it for me.

Also MacGuyever is in the first one.
    So. You know. Buy it.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me they are the best in the series still, so yes. Way more interesting than either of the Bethesda games which feel like overblown big budget Hollywood adaptions.

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By Juzie

Some of the best pure roleplaying experiences ive ever had, so much freedom, so many different ways to approach and complete quests, so many choices to make and you can create pretty deep character personalities with all the dialogue options given. Not many top it even today. However if you want to go in and explore a wasteland, shoot up some super mutants and find awesome loots you will be very disappointed. The combat in the first fallouts is the worst part of the game and the way exploration works is a whole lot different as well.

So as weird as it sounds, if you want to get into these games, don't go in expecting to play what you define as a fallout game. Expect more focus on a pure roleplaying experience with combat being something added onto the game as something extra to keep you occupied. They absolutely do hold up, but they aren't for everybody...and that includes fans of the later games.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Startin' to get a little 'games were better then' in here.

stevewestmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 2 added a "move" command to party NPCs because in Fallout your game can end prematurely with the NPCs blocking doorways and not having anyway to move around or past them.

Kharnivore2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mid-90s computer game should be all you need to know.

"Does it hold up?"

If you mean; is it a playable game? Yes. Is it a well made game? Yes. Is it going to be an easy straightforward game that tells you everything you need to do like most modern games today? No.

Quicksaving, multiple save slots, willingness to start over if things don't work out, actually taking notice of what you're doing in quests rather than "walk to this marked waypoint, now walk to the next" and thinking outside the "shoot everything" box (one of the favourite moments I had playing was causing a gun fight between two rivals in town and they both ended up killing each other with me to take the loot despite them being seriously tough characters) are all part and parcel.

Probably the best response in here. It hold up in the sense of being a quality game with great stories and entertaining experiences; but if you want a modern interface, being told directly what to do and don't like the though of potentially messing up your game due to bad skill choices and perks etc...then no, it won't hold up for you. The game can be really unforgiving, quite gruelling and may take a few restarts until you find what works for you, but there are few RPG's that come close to the original Fallouts, even 17 or 18 years later.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

get off my lawn

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By arbayer2

As far as the world is concerned, absolutely. The UI and controls though, as someone who mainly played Fallout/2 after becoming addicted to FO3, it's a jarring change, and sometimes irritatingly so. The graphics are on par for most complex MS-DOS games if not nicer, though it's definitely got that whole "weird fusion between Mortal Kombat/Donkey Kong Country claymation and early 90s cinematic CG" thing going for it so that'll be divisive I imagine. If you made it through the SNES/PlayStation era you'll probably be okay with it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.