• 158 results
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#51  Edited By jakob187
@ZombiePie: LOL  They do if I get into them. 

@SJSchmidt93: Hey, that's...like...the 700th one of those!  I remember actually making something similar with "Greatest Metal Drummer".  Take a look at that...then go back and look at the thread you linked.  Do you see the difference, because I do.  In the thread I created, there is actually DISCUSSION.  It's not just "here's a YouTube video, watch", which is YouTube spam.  There was not a single line of MEANINGFUL DISCUSSION in the thread you linked...except slightly in what you said on the thread.  =  /
Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By Crono

what about jacking productive threads with random youtube videos we find?

Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Arjuna

Also, don't say anything negative about Star Wars, or MB will ban you.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By Karmum
@Claude: 
Wouldn't the topic then get...locked? o_o

Glad this random video thing has finally been verified.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#55  Edited By Willy105

I haven't even noticed them. I should come here more often. This worries me, because I like to post a lot of Youtube videos here.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By clubsandwich

oops, I didn't notice this thread yesterday, sorry. :P

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Andorski

Video posting is bad, but list threads are acceptable?  Where exactly are we drawing the line?

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By Godwind

We're suppose to care?

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Digital High-five on the decision lads! Great job.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By jakob187
@Andorski said:
" Video posting is bad, but list threads are acceptable?  Where exactly are we drawing the line? "
I asked that question a while back.  It would seem that making a thread that is a list would be spam as well, but not many people are doing that.  They did at the start, just to play around with the list feature...but it is generally just not spammed like videos are.  If it DID get spammed, I'm sure that something would end up being said about it. 

@Jesus: Well, congratulations on your joke being a good point!  Try harder next time, and you might actually squeeze a joke out. 

@Godwind said:
" We're suppose to care? "
RUDE! 

I don't understand why people are A. so pissed about this and B. being dickheads about it.  Seriously, if you don't have some form of DISCUSSION to offer in a FORUM...then why the fuck are you in a FORUM?  The point of a forum is to discuss...not to link random videos at will that will create no discussion.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Karmum

Okay guys, jakob is totally getting swerious around here!

Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By Jesus
@jakob187 said:
" @Andorski said:
" Video posting is bad, but list threads are acceptable?  Where exactly are we drawing the line? "
I asked that question a while back.  It would seem that making a thread that is a list would be spam as well, but not many people are doing that.  They did at the start, just to play around with the list feature...but it is generally just not spammed like videos are.  If it DID get spammed, I'm sure that something would end up being said about it. 

@Jesus: Well, congratulations on your joke being a good point!  Try harder next time, and you might actually squeeze a joke out. 

@Godwind said:
" We're suppose to care? "
RUDE!  I don't understand why people are A. so pissed about this and B. being dickheads about it.  Seriously, if you don't have some form of DISCUSSION to offer in a FORUM...then why the fuck are you in a FORUM?  The point of a forum is to discuss...not to link random videos at will that will create no discussion. "
Lol somebody's on their period.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By jakob187
@Karmum said:
" Okay guys, jakob is totally getting swerious around here! "
I hate you, and you are SOOOO going down! 

@Jesus: As compared to what?  The dipshits getting whiny because they can't spam the forums anymore?  Boo fuckety hoo.
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Godwind
@jakob187:  I can understand where the moderators are coming.  Being a former moderator myself (of another website), I know it can be tough to work with the community even with unpopular decisions.   After being a moderator, I now understand something about myself.  Immaturity is so much more than being seriousness.
Avatar image for deactivated-5aad21fd3cb7d
deactivated-5aad21fd3cb7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never click a thread if I'm not interested in seeing what is there. So I actually moderate myself by making my own choices on what I see and don't see. Should I be glad that the moderators work so hard to make sure all of you make posts that are good enough for me to look at!? For me? How sweet! ;)

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By napalm

I just got a link from Matty from the L4D2 board. I actually don't video spam... but that was the first time I posted a video with a short comment, (negating the versus matches in the SFIV board, because that's part of that forum). So, yeah, video spamming for me, isn't an issue, but if I post a video I'll be sure to add some more commentary to generate discussion.

PS. Has anything been done about the picture spammers? Right before Modern Warfare 2 was released somebody kept clogging up the topics by posting stupid cat pictures and shit and a sentence, then the next person would qoute their text and do the same crap.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#67  Edited By Hamz
@Napalm: You should flag stuff like that, lets us look over it and see how best to deal with it :)
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By napalm
@Hamz said:
" @Napalm: You should flag stuff like that, lets us look over it and see how best to deal with it :) "
I flagged it once, but I think there needs to be an input box where we can say what exactly is wrong with the post, because just flagging it, I feel there's not enough context for you guys to figure out why it was flagged.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#69  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Napalm: You're always welcome to send us a PM if you want to provide more feedback on what you feel is wrong with a post.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Willy105

So where did this trend of video spamming originate in the first plae? And why Giantbomb?

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Karmum
@Willy105 said:
" So where did this trend of video spamming originate in the first plae? And why Giantbomb? "
I'm sure video spamming has been out since the dawn of forums. Why not post it on an active forum?

I'm not saying that as a good thing, but it is an incentive.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Willy105

Mods! Would this video being posted on the Off-Topic board be considered U-Toob spam?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#73  Edited By mike
@Willy105: Yes
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#74  Edited By Whisperkill

If we cant post topics about youtube vids at least make a sticky where people CAN post youtube videos they want others to watch. Most people actually have interesting things they want to share.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#75  Edited By LordAndrew
@Willy105 said:
" So where did this trend of video spamming originate in the first plae? And why Giantbomb? "
Well, not all sites even allow videos to be posted. For example GameSpot only allows GameSpot videos to be embedded in their forums. Video spamming is therefore rarely an issue, so it's not necessary to explicitly ban such activities. And there are also forums where the moderators and admins simply don't care if users spam videos or not. So the users posting 'em will want a) a forum with software that allows the posting of videos and b) other users who will watch / get annoyed by those videos. Giant Bomb offers both.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Willy105
@Whisperkill said:
"

If we cant post topics about youtube vids at least make a sticky where people CAN post youtube videos they want others to watch. Most people actually have interesting things they want to share.

"
I would really like this!
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#77  Edited By mikemcn

From a distance , I clap in your general direction..  

I do dislike those.....
crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By crusnchill

I feel likel I have to apologise. As I've done this, but only in effort to help people out. 
See I found out about a way for australians to play L4D2 with full gore. 
I mean I didn't post an actual video but I did kinda say: "Hey to anyone in australia! Check this video to get full gore in L4D2". 
And then put in a link. 

Won't happen again. :-)
crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By crusnchill
@Willy105:
Aside from that. The Giantbomb guys kinda used to post random youtube videos too when the site was first kicking off. And people commented that they had no clue why the videos were so important as to warrent Jeff/Ryan/Vinny/Brad posting it as gaming news. 
I mean they DID give some writing about it, but again, it was kinda spammy. 
Oh well... It IS their site. lol. And besides, they were pretty funny. ;-p
ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Sorry GB I've had about 3 random topics I shouldn't have posted... but I'm sorry and I think only one was in general discussion, but I didn't post any Youtube nonsense that just pisses me off!

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By ArchScabby
@Willy105 said:
" @Whisperkill said:
"

"
I would really like this! "
This is a good idea.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Hamz
@ArchScabby said:
" @Willy105 said:
" @Whisperkill said:
"

"
I would really like this! "
This is a good idea. "
Let me repeat again that linking too or embedding a youtube video in your blog or a forum topic is not outlawed, it is perfectly acceptable to link or embed a video from youtube providing the text accompanying it is of reasonably adequate length (1 or 2 paragraphs) and not simply a "Dudes I found this great video I wanted to share, go check it out lol!" comment. If the latter is what you wish to do then sorry, but we're not accepting that :)

And as I said earlier in this topic, creating a sticky just for youtube videos simply facilitates what youtube already achieved, a place to store random video content that coverings multiple categories. Creating a sticky like that would just be, in short, silly and it isn't something we're going to do.

It also seems that 'youtube spam' has declined and/or been reported much more since this sticky was created, kudos to the community for understanding! We'll probably leave this topic pinned to the 'Newest Topics' feed till the end of the year (feels odd saying that) and then keep it pinned in General Discussion I imagine from then on.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Red12b
@Hamz:  
Dude, end of the Decade

Now that is friggen scary!
cooger10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By cooger10

As a moderator do you get paid do do what you do or is it just something you do for fun?

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Red12b
@cooger10:  
It's all voluntary,and they do an awesome job to. 

Respect. 
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Willy105

You know what's even more annoying than U-Toob spam?

The Cool Story Bro posts.

I hate them!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#87  Edited By natetodamax

I think some of the staffers need to read this thread. There's no need for Giant Bomb videos to be posted on the forums.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#88  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
@natetodamax: The staff are above the rules, and anyways the rule isn't to suck all of the fun from the forums the rules are just here to weed out the senseless spam.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ArchScabby
@ZombiePie said:
" @natetodamax: The staff are above the rules, and anyways the rule isn't to suck all of the fun from the forums the rules are just here to weed out the senseless spam. "
Well I kinda agree.  I don't need a forum post for every quick look.  I check the video page, if there's a quick look I'll see it.  And if you need a forum post to tell you there's a new video then you probably don't care enough to watch it anyway.
Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Siris

fuuuuuck that. too many rules and conditions imposed on freedom of expression. Please get with the real program, people can post a video in a thread if they want, if you come upon it and don't like it - back off, its that easy.

p.s. real life is clogged up with all kinds of stuff.. if you want to find a way to clean up the waste once its been used up after the fact, then that's fine, but don't go around trying to impose conditions on people's freedom to share in expressive, simple ways.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Synthballs
@Siris said:
" fuuuuuck that. too many rules and conditions imposed on freedom of expression. Please get with the real program, people can post a video in a thread if they want, if you come upon it and don't like it - back off, its that easy.  p.s. real life is clogged up with all kinds of stuff.. if you want to find a way to clean up the waste once its been used up after the fact, then that's fine, but don't go around trying to impose conditions on people's freedom to share in expressive, simple ways. "
Its a forum. For discussing topics. There is no point  posting a video to go "hur dur, dis is funny" and for there not to be some kind of intellectual conversation. I've noticed since this U-Toob bulletin was posted the amount of videos also posted seems to have gone up. I don't know if this is some retardism protest but I'm sick of it.  If you want to post shitty videos go to another forum, unless you are willing to write something informative about said video.
Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Siris
@Synthballs: its a forum for whatever the hell people make it to be. Just because you don't think its "intellectual" doesn't make it so. I find most of the single video youtube posts to be much more entertaining than most of the long discussions that go nowhere half the time, anyways.
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Synthballs
@Siris: I believe you should go to the actual YouTube website and comment with the morons on that if you find everything else to be less entertaining.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Hamz
@Siris: This is a privately run website that when you sign up to it you agree to abide and adhere to our rules and guidelines. You have every right to dislike them, but we ask you respect and follow them when using the site, it is that simple.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Rowr
@Claude said:

" But, I'm cool with putting a random video in a thread... right?

Like... Yip... I agree.

"
You rock claude.

So yeh what you want to do is, find a perfectly respectable thread and post your awesome youtube clip as the 2nd or 3rd post.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@L1D3N said:
" Little rules like this killed gamespot forums and they will only hurt this one. Better outlaw posting of gifs, funny little pictures etc. also. "
im not being a troll im just sharing my point of view on this :  having a stable and balanced and fair website is too good to be true.. sure, there's always the hero who creates a revolution like Jeff and founds a cool joint like this one, but soon shit gets serious, the Mods (since they're only humans too) start getting carried away thinking that they're policing the place the right way, and another Gamespot is born year after year.. it will go down the shitter sooner or later. i wish it wouldnt, but its too good to be true.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Red12b
@Ahmad_Metallic:  
Don't say that, A fairy dies when you say that!!!
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By napalm

As far as I'm concerned, you can fuck off to 4chan to post "hurrhurr funneh" GIFs and videos. Most of us here are on an age where we prefer interesting conversations than replying to crap about absolutely nothing. The Street Fighter IV community is excluded considering we stay mostly on topic and nobody really bothers us.

vedicardi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By vedicardi

Why not just make a forum for youtube videos??

Avatar image for chineseguyperson
chineseguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it!