Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By 9cupsoftea

@Khann said:

@Chabbs0 said:

" @Khann said:

" Just want to say that for the most part, this is a fucking stupid rule. "

As long as the post has accompanying text and raises some sort of discussion then it's not stupid. "
http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/the-police-sure-have-strange-priorities/488295/?

What about that thread? The original post fits the "Youtube spam" rule, but then after 6 pages of discussion, Mr. Mod comes along and is all "YOUTUBE SPAM. I WILL BLINDLY FOLLOW THIS RULE DESPITE THE DISCUSSION. DURRRRR".

Completely agree. There are dozens of threads on these forums where people post memes, two word posts, or the most general banalities and yet if someone posts a youtube vid with only a couple sentences it get locked.

On any other forum spammy posts disappear after a few hours cause people ignore them - here they're bumped constantly by people who feel the need to post their complaints.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

I take issue with this rule. It is actually hampering discussion. Primarily because of this:

@hamz said:
  • Usually one or two well written and decent sized paragraphs to go along with the video should be enough for it to not be considered spam. If you feel you cannot write that reasonable and adequate amount of original commentary on the video to inspire discussion value in your topic, then chances are you shouldn't make the topic.

This is a nonsensical rule. The amount of text doesn't correlate to the meaning it has. My post was just deleted. I posted a video about social media where in the video it stated that social media actually shuts doors to social interaction. The video itself was a piece of poetry and it needed to be seen to fully understand the message.

Yes, I simply said I agreed with the video and saw it in my daily life and asked how others felt about it. This encourages discussion and someone needs to reply before the discussion will flourish. If I write a bunch of text with it that pretty much means nothing as I was able to say what needed to be said in 4 sentences, it suddenly is okay because 'there is more text and more text is good'?

This is a dumb rule, and now discussion is cut off for no real reason. Just because I added a video to it. If I recreate the thread without adding the video and then it won't get deleted? Dumb. Too bad. I thought this was at least a place we could discuss stuff, but I guess not if we don't follow kindergarten black and white rules.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@zevvion: Probably deleted it because of how cheesy that video is.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Zevvion

@shookems said:

@zevvion: Probably deleted it because of how cheesy that video is.

It is to an extent. But the core message is actually something I agree with. Yeah, especially at the end it got a little extreme, I'm with you on that, but I do feel and notice how social interaction in my life... wait, we're not allowed to discuss this.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@zevvion: You posted a video and essentially said, "Watch this interesting video." Which is our very definition of spam. This isn't Reddit and videos do not speak for themselves here; Giant Bomb isn't a link dump. We really do not want a forum full of people spamming every random video they find halfway interesting as a new thread.

I appreciate your thoughts on this, but you are not expected to agree with all of the rules, you are only expected to follow them.

Thanks.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Zevvion

@mb: I am only saying what I think, and no that is not what I said. I said that I agreed with the core of the message in saying that social media is diminishing social interaction. The thing is, I needed to post the video because it was doing a very good job of showcasing why. I had a very clear question about it, which would have no doubt sprouted some interesting discussion on social media currently and I was curious to hear how it affected other people's lives and if they also found themselves to be lonely because of it.

I think you are undermining the post I made and what it meant. It certainly wasn't just 'Watch this, bye'. I have to say I'm really disappointed in this.

But yeah, message is received. Don't worry about that. It won't happen again. If I ever find something similar and am interested to hear people's opinion I'll go elsewhere.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#159  Edited By Tom_omb

Whoops, I guess I replied to a topic that's going to get locked a couple minutes ago....

Shame, I think I addressed it in a way worth discussing...