good question, would settle the confusion
Avatar image for pnut_buttr_panda
PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

hey guys im new to this forum and just getting settled in by checking out some of the threads.  ive noticed stuff like this on other sites. from what ive seen it may bee a good idea to make a special board thats just for posting vids. it keeps the spammers happy and the forums dont get flooded with sour threads and dont loose out on a vid that may not be spam and may be something that stirs a lot of discussion.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By natetodamax
@PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
" hey guys im new to this forum and just getting settled in by checking out some of the threads.  ive noticed stuff like this on other sites. from what ive seen it may bee a good idea to make a special board thats just for posting vids. it keeps the spammers happy and the forums dont get flooded with sour threads and dont loose out on a vid that may not be spam and may be something that stirs a lot of discussion. "
We don't want spammers to be happy. Spammers get banned. And if a video posted to the forums holds discussion, it stays there.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#104  Edited By JJOR64
@PNut_Buttr_Panda:  You can still post videos on the forums.  You just need to provide some of your own commentary to go along with the video.
Avatar image for pnut_buttr_panda
PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i see.  so the general rule is that you can post any video so long as you have a commentary on it or does it have to be game related?

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#106  Edited By beargirl1
@PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
" i see.  so the general rule is that you can post any video so long as you have a commentary on it or does it have to be game related? "
you can post videos as long as you have commentary that will spark discussion. don't just post useless random videos that you find, that will see no discussion. it will be locked. 
EndlessMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#107  Edited By EndlessMike

If you could express this in the form of a Youtube video I might find it easier to understand.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#108  Edited By Brians

There should be in the email when signing up a note hey don't send youtube links. Someone titled a post they made today with the link to the story...Which was dumb

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#109  Edited By Alphiehyr

I really don't see the big deal with starting a topic or posting with a link to youtube.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#110  Edited By mike
@Alphiehyr said:
" I really don't see the big deal with starting a topic or posting with a link to youtube. "
It's ok, not everyone is expected to agree with all of the rules, they are only expected to follow them.
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#111  Edited By Yukoei

Was this just unstickied? why?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By mike
@Yukoei said:
" Was this just unstickied? why? "
It hasn't been pinned to all forums for at least a couple of months. It's still pinned to General Discussion.
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Yukoei
@MB said:
" @Yukoei said:
" Was this just unstickied? why? "
It hasn't been pinned to all forums for at least a couple of months. It's still pinned to General Discussion. "
Ahh, okay thanks.
Avatar image for randominternetperson
RandomInternetPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

If i post a link to this thread,is that alright?

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#115  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

This ought to be stickied, I totally missed it and since there isn't a rule for this on anime vice (though thinking about it, there probably should be) I didn't know there was a rule about youtube spam here.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#116  Edited By Karmum
@Newten:
It was pinned, I'm curious as to why it's not anymore. Pinned or not, many people seem to not read it (not including you, you appear to be someone who would read it then not continue to post the topics).

Edit - It's only pinned in General Discussion.
CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#117  Edited By CaptainScarLeg
@Karmum: Ah I see, I understand why it's only pinned in general discussion I suppose. I do think a link to it should be added to the main forum FAQ though. It sort of describes it right at the end as what's considered to be spam, but there's no link to this thread or anything.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By napalm

I'm beginning to question whether the Admins/Mods are still keen on enforcing the U Toob spam policy. I've flagged various videos, and I'll go back a few days later and all the videos are still there. Some closure would be nice, as I'd hate to be wasting my time.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#119  Edited By Hamz
@Napalm: This could be down to two things.

• We may have been slow at getting around to reviewing those flagged posts.
  • The posts you've flagged were deemed acceptable by the mod who reviewed it.

Just keep flagging, it takes but a few seconds to do!
Southgrove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Southgrove

Hmm, what if you'd make a "U-toob lol-spam forum"?

vonsoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#121  Edited By vonsoot

I thought this was about Noob Tubes.. Bah. Misleading (misread :( )

:X

dylanderoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By dylanderoo

i youtubed spammed, and i did not read this.. i am so sorry guys. wanna hug?

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#123  Edited By I_smell

If you expect people to read huge walls of texts like that just to post on the forum then A: you are crazy, and B: It's no wonder GB is full of such boring tepid people.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Hamz: Just out of curiosity since I don't remember seeing this any where but would it be considered spam if the OP just posted a picture instead of a video? I would assume so yes?
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Hamz
@eroticfishcake: Essentially yes it would still be considered spam if someone just made a topic with an image and no text to go along with it. Only reason this hasn't been outlined is that embedded video spam (aka U-Tube Spam) is waaay more frequent on the forum that the need to specifically point it out was greater.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Hamz: I see. Well thanks for clarifying that for me. I was just wondering since I saw a few cases like that but for some reason they tend to stay unlocked. Knowing you, you'll probably just tell me to flag it or PM a mod about it, eh?
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Hamz
@eroticfishcake: Psychic training is paying off I see! :P

Feel free to send me a handful of links to such topics if you want. Chances are they get left unlocked due to them straight up dying a natural death far quicker.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Hamz: Most of them have already sunk to the murky depths of the forums so it's no real issue at the moment but I'll send threads your way though if they come back or if I see new ones. Cheers anyway.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#129  Edited By JJOR64

Out of curiosity, why is this stickied in GD and not Off Topic?

drjota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By drjota
@Hamz: I consider myself warned.Apologies to all.
LordLemmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By LordLemmy

@ZombiePie

said:

" The real sad thing is that productive threads get bumped down and don't get the attention they deserve as a result of this trend. Well you can fully expect me to flag any threads that I see which qualify as spam. "

Right, topics like "Random word association", "I'm gay and I play games" and "Say something about the user above you" are much more productive than a video that makes you laugh. Carry on forum warriors. And thank you for giving these wannabe backseat mods with itchy fingers something else to gather a hard-on for.

@Brendan

said:

" @Apathylad said:

" @Jeust said:

" @JJOR64 said:

" @Apathylad: You can still post videos but, you just need to provide more commentary to go along with it. "

that will only give birth to threads where the users waste words not to get the topic canned... you know that don't you? "
That's my concern as well. I'm afraid I will need to write a formal essay in order to not get flagged by other users. "
It's actually not that hard to not get flagged, the only ones where I've seen it happen are exactly what the moderators talked about, mostly consisting of "lolz!" followed by meaningless quote trees.  If you can resist that urge, then you're probably fine. "
 What?  Who are you kidding? Do you somehow have the insights pertaining to the hundreds of others?

@jakob187

said:

"This.  If someone posts up a political video talking about rights or upcoming bill ideas, or if they are posting up a video review for another place that can drive some form of discussion, then that's not spam - that's the purpose of a forum being used.  Maybe people are unaware of what a "forum" is because of places like 4chan and such, which have changed the meaning for some people.  A forum is someplace people converse about topics and issues.  These recent video spams of "LOLZ WATCH THIS IT'S FUNNY" do not promote any form of discussion.  If we allowed that, then we would see no discussion on these forums and instead would just serve as a secondary hosting site for YouTube, which I don't think they honestly need.  I can't say that we all provide the greatest of commentary in some of our discussions (sometimes only one sentence giving some attempt as sarcasm or wit), but those who frown upon the idea of cutting down the YouTube spam are simply willing to promote disorganization and a LACK of community...and that defeats the purpose of a forum entirely. "

The lack of community is the result of little leeches who foam at the mouth, waiting to accuse others of trolling and spamming. Does that sound productive to you? Don't jerk us off with community speeches when the real problem is bigger than the one talked about here.

@Napalm

said:

I've flagged various videos, and I'll go back a few days later and all the videos are still there. Some closure would be nice, as I'd hate to be wasting my time. "

Maximum forum warrior efficiency being ignored must be such a downer.
btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By btman

Why isn't this stickied anymore?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By CL60
@btman said:
" Why isn't this stickied anymore? "
I was wondering this as well. It should be stickied.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By mike
@CL60: It's still pinned, but to General Discussion only...also bump.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#135  Edited By Seppli

I really like youtube vid threads. An actual dedicated youtube spam forum section might be in order to accommodate for this preference?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#136  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Seppli said:

" I really like youtube vid threads. An actual dedicated youtube spam forum section might be in order to accommodate for this preference? "

A dedicated forum where people can spam is not going to happen. Spam is spam, even if it's all contained within a special forum section.

The thing is, threads featuring youtube videos are fine, people just need to write a good paragraph or two to promote discussion on the subject. Just copy/pasting a youtube embed code without any commentary (or just a short pointless comment) is just lazy and it doesn't promote discussion on the subject. People need to go to the effort to spark discussion on the subject by providing their insights into the subject.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By FunExplosions
@MattyFTM said:
" @Seppli said:

" I really like youtube vid threads. An actual dedicated youtube spam forum section might be in order to accommodate for this preference? "

A dedicated forum where people can spam is not going to happen. Spam is spam, even if it's all contained within a special forum section.  The thing is, threads featuring youtube videos are fine, people just need to write a good paragraph or two to promote discussion on the subject. Just copy/pasting a youtube embed code without any commentary (or just a short pointless comment) is just lazy and it doesn't promote discussion on the subject. People need to go to the effort to spark discussion on the subject by providing their insights into the subject. "
True dat. Go to Youtube if you want Youtube videos. If you haven't killed yourself from reading mindless comments, you are welcome to come back.
I don't get how people can't grasp the simple fact that posting those videos generates far too much buzz, therefore burying the better threads and blogs deep within the forums.
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#138  Edited By rjayb89

Would you look at that?  Guess I can put my Flag to good use.

ZeekDaGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By ZeekDaGeek

lol chek out this video

<banned>

Ares_26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Ares_26

I think this is a great decision that the moderators are doing to help.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Hamz

Bump to knock this down the list due to a bug in the forum.

Obienator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Obienator
@Hamz:  Apologies, new to the forums. I recently linked to a video I made myself. While my commentary was short, I think I made up to it in subsequent posts. Will remeber for next time tho!
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just want to say that for the most part, this is a fucking stupid rule.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#144  Edited By KarlPilkington
@Khann said:
" Just want to say that for the most part, this is a fucking stupid rule. "  

As long as the post has accompanying text and raises some sort of discussion then it's not stupid.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chabbs0 said:

" @Khann said:

" Just want to say that for the most part, this is a fucking stupid rule. "  

As long as the post has accompanying text and raises some sort of discussion then it's not stupid. "
http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/the-police-sure-have-strange-priorities/488295/?  

What about that thread? The original post fits the "Youtube spam" rule, but then after 6 pages of discussion, Mr. Mod comes along and is all "YOUTUBE SPAM. I WILL BLINDLY FOLLOW THIS RULE DESPITE THE DISCUSSION. DURRRRR". 
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By imsh_pl
@Khann: The page was locked a day after it appeared. The mods can't be everywhere.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imsh_pl said:
" @Khann: The page was locked a day after it appeared. The mods can't be everywhere. "
That isn't really my point, though. My point was that there had been significant discussion over the original post, and it didn't need to be locked as "Youtube spam".
Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Comiclove5

Sorry, I did not know.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By SexyToad

So this is necrobumping the thread but why can't we have a thread that the point is to post YouTube videos? Just one thread for this stuff?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#150  Edited By Video_Game_King

@SexyToad:

Because it doesn't promote discussion, and only serves to boost post count. Also, all that Flash makes computers explode.